Monday 11 May 2020

Special Guest Blogger: Rock Hudson

Something which dogged my whole career was the rumour that i was gay but i don't know how many times i had to say i wasn't but nobody ever believed me.
I was the epitome of the straight, masculine movie star of the '50s and '60s and when i went out it i said it was to pick up girlies, shirts stayed unlifted when i was around but i understood why some men stayed in the closet, it would have been career suicide to have come out in that day and age.
Unfortunately for me i was really bad at lying as my bisexuality was well known in Hollywood but i maintained the public lie until my AIDS diagnosis brought public attention to the disease and my sexual orientation.
I had to keep my gay life a secret because in the 1950s, being gay was like being a Communist, only with more lube and less vodka but when you look like me, it's not easy to go too long without a penis or vagina finding you.
I married my secretary Phyllis Gates but it was just a publicity stunt to stop all the gay rumors although i think the vicar was trying to give the game away at the wedding service. 
When he asked me if i took Phyllis to be my unlawfully wedded wife for as long as it kept me out the gossip columns i almost choked but it was the line about you may now kiss the Best Man which almost blew it.
I starred with some of the best actors of the time Elizabeth Taylor, Kirk Douglas, John Wayne, Doris Day and James Dean and on the set of the film Giant, we argued constantly and Dean called me a fairy but it turned out he was playing the pink oboe as much as i was.
As i become the first major U.S. celebrity to die of AIDS, my death did raise public awareness of the epidemic and the use of condoms which back then were thick and insensitive but unfortunately for me the only thick insensitive thing i found was my Giant co-star.

No comments: