Wednesday 13 May 2020

Special Guest Blogger: Sid Vicious

Comparisons have been made with me and Nancy and Kurt Cobain and his wife Courtney Love but apart from a rampaging heroin addiction, there is no comparison.
Sure my relationship with Nancy was spent with the two of us beating the shit out of each other and doing heroin and so was Kurt and Courtney's but i stabbed Nancy to death and died of an overdose and last time i looked Kurt had blown his head off and Courtney Love is still alive doing something, not sure what but to be fair but then nobody really knew what her skill was when she was doing it.
I first met Johnny Rotten, or John Lydon as he was then, at Hackney Technical College in 1973 which was when Lydon nicknamed me 'Sid Vicious' after his skanky hamster Sid bit me and i said Sid's Vicious and that became my nickname.
I began hanging around Malcolm McLaren's and Vivienne Westwood's clothing store, SEX, with the likes of Chrissie Hynde and Siouxsie Sue before she formed her group, The Banshees, who i played drums for a few times.
I  was considered for the position of lead singer for the Damned, but the bastards deliberately gave me the wrong address for the audition and Dave Vanian got the job, i did lob a glass at him at a Damned gig afterwards but i missed and accidentally blinded a girl instead. Oops.
After Glen Matlock fell out with the Sex Pistols, McLaren bought me in as the Sex Pistols Bass player, not for my bass playing skills because i couldn't play for shit, but because i had the image he wanted although due to a dirty heroin needle, i was hospitalised with hepatitis during the recording of our only studio album, Never Mind the Bollocks, and only played bass on one song – 'Bodies' although Steve Jones even overdubbed that later.
Our last gig in England was a private Christmas Day gig for the children of striking firefighters where we gave out presents, food, and even played some of our songs, tastefully rewritten for the young audiences and Johnny dressed up as Santa.
After an unsuccessful tour of America, the band split and i went sort of solo, playing gigs with the original supergroup of Mick Jones of the Clash, original Sex Pistols bassist Glen Matlock, Rat Scabies of the Damned and the New York Dolls' Arthur Kane, Jerry Nolan, and Johnny Thunders.
Obviously i was always going to die of a massive drug overdose and i did but no funeral home was willing to hold a funeral or cremation for me but someone must have done because my ashes are sprinkled over Nancy's grave in Pennsylvania.

No comments: