Sunday 11 October 2020

Special Guest Blogger: Lou Reed

I was hard to nail down, either musically, artistically or ideologically and my sexuality was always a bit ambiguous also but one thing i definitely was, was high.
I used to be concerned and nervous about the future, sometimes i'd get panic attacks before an important event and i found it hard to focus on anything but sometimes you need a little help navigating life's trouble spots and that's when I discovered Heroin and all my troubles were forgotten.
True Heroin also makes you forget your name, or where to properly go to the bathroom but it was the 60's, nobody went to the bathroom in the right place then anyway.
It's difficult to sum up my life, partly due to all the brain cells i damaged with drugs but my greatest achievement was being a founding member of the Velvet Underground, a band managed by Andy Warhol which is as mad as it sounds.
My drug use was never in question due to half of my songs being about heroin but my sexuality always was due to the other half of my songs being about transvestites.
I did start out planning to be a journalist, even attending University to study it but while there i met John Cale, Sterling Morrison and Angus MacLise and we got noticed by Warhol and invited to become the house band at the Factory and after adding singer Nico, off we went to become one of the coolest and most influential bands of our time.
I did go solo after a while and had a massive hit with 'Perfect Day' which was a strange choice for a BBC Children's Charity single because although it wasn't about transvestites, it was about doing a 24 hour long heroin bender.
Nobody really expects rock musicians to be nice people and after i died of liver disease it came out that i was a tad violent, misogynist and racist and the guy who was writing my biography asked one of my friends to describe me and he said that i was 'the worst person who ever lived' and a 'stupid, disgusting, awful human being' but i’ll tell ya, i lived that life of a rock n roll star and so sometimes i woke up in weird places, beat on my women and made fun of black performers but i always looked brilliantly moody while doing it and that's all that matters.

No comments: